1110 KFAB Local News

 

VIDEO: UNO Dorm Fire

VIDEO: UNO Dorm Fire

Firefighters battled a two-alarm fire at an apartment dormitory on the University of Nebraska at Omaha campus Wednesday afternoon.

--Watch Video

The fire was reported just after 3:00 in Building G of Scott Village near 63rd and Pacific.  A second alarm was called a few moments later as smoke and flames intensified.

The Flames could be seen shooting from the roof of the building.  Battalion Chief Tim McCaw says the third story of the building was destroyed by fire. The rest of the building sustained smoke and water damage.

--See Photos

McCaw said 48-50 students were displaced due to the fire. Another 50 students in a neighboring building were evacuated as a precaution.  The university is working on housing arraignments for the students.

UNO officials say all of the students have been accounted for an none of them were injured.  An Omaha firefighter was taken to the hospital for treatment of a minor injury.

Displaced students were sent to nearby Mammel Hall and the Scott Conference Center.

Parents of UNO students can call 402-778-6211 for more information. 

There's no word yet on the cause of the fire.  The Scott Village student housing complex is made up of four-bedroom units, each with a kitchen.

Watch below as the wind whips up the smoke and flames: 

 

More Articles